Barbarian archers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Shaun_Rasmussen #1 Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

So I played primarily Barbarian archers the last week or two of the closed beta and overall I did pretty well with them.  I had to work much harder and play much smarter than my Cynane archer counterparts who run around until barrage is off CD then strike, rinse, repeat.   I played around 200 matches with Tier X barb archers and wanted to share my opinion of them.  They are probably the least played unit at Tier X and for good reason. I used them with Boudica for the 20% range bonus and the view range increase.  They are much more difficult to score well with than Cynane archers and that is the reason you see Cynane archers everywhere and barb archers hardly ever due to almost identical stats but Cynane getting barrage.  

Barb archers have to pick their spots and can't sit and trade with Cynane archers due to the barrage ability being so lethal (OP IMO) and tier IX greeks having such high armor.  To offset this they need to be more deadly if they are able to ambush or get in a good spot where they aren't seen, but can see Cynane archers or other units for that matter.  I'd say somewhere between 5 - 10% damage increase and/or copying the tier IX barb archer abilities to the tier X abils.  The tier X barb archer abils are lacking and inferior to the tier IX.  Focus flaming arrow only has 65 range so is very difficult to use, putting yourself in too close to Cynane archers and/or javs.  The  rapid fire needs to also have increased damage (10-15% like other tiers) to make the ambushing more effective.  That way the extra damage would offset the lack of barrage and would make barb archers more viable.  I will still play them in Open beta because I love barbs and Boudica.  I also refuse to play easy commander/unit combos and like the challenge.  I think 1 or all of these changes and we would see more barb archers.  Cynane archers would still be played more and overall score higher because barrage makes scoring well much easier, but if you are a skilled player who can watch the range game and strike when opponent barrage is on CD you will be rewarded for your good play. 

This is until we get a barb archer commander anyway, in which case I would still use Boudica archers because im sure the popularity of a barb archer commander would be very high, thus making me not want to play that combo.  More commander/unit options the better. 

Ardougne #2 Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:17 PM

Centurion

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
A barb archer commander was teased, briefly in a stream not too long ago. Hope we see them relatively soon. I think the barbs are in a great place for when their commander does arrive. I don't see any major flaws with them right now besides that they have 0 synergy with ANY of the barb commanders.

Edited by 5D__Ardez, 19 February 2018 - 11:18 PM.

Shaun_Rasmussen #3 Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:24 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View Post5D__Ardez, on 19 February 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

A barb archer commander was teased, briefly in a stream not too long ago. Hope we see them relatively soon. I think the barbs are in a great place for when their commander does arrive. I don't see any major flaws with them right now besides that they have 0 synergy with ANY of the barb commanders.

Have you played many rounds at tier X, specifically with barb archers?  If you play under the name ardez I have never seen you, so serious question.  I play under the name Robert_oakridge and although many do not like me because I trash talk a bit  i think most unbiased opinions would be that I'm a good player.   Boudica has a bit of synergy at tier X with 20% range increase ,  but you can't rely on always outranging Greeks because  at any moment you get strain, then barrage, then gg. 

They seem to be gimped compared with Greeks at every tier on base stats except tier 7.  Add hunt, rapid advance 20 on only 10 off, and barrage there is still no reason to play them   I don't think we should have to wait for a barb archer commander for them to be viable.  Even so with ambush tier X getting 20% range they should be better with Boudica.  Adding the damage increase to rapid fire at tier X as the other tier unit abils do might be enough.  Just frustrating to set up a sweet ambush from the forest but with -10% damage debuff in forest (maybe remove that debuff for barbs in forest) doing little damage.  I found good success with 2 archers, 1 falx, but as I said I was clearly putplaying the Greeks to get good scores and would have done much better if using Cynane   I got Cynane to tier IX but stopped using her because it was too easy with her skillset to do well.  

WipeoutVasusu #4 Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

Centurion

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Oh you are robert

Btw ardez is an active player and member of the community (he is more active on the NA forum)

As he said a new dedicated barb archer commander is approaching and some of the talents of the other commanders will be changed.

Range on infiltration (arminius is likely to get a rework)

Damage on iron defence

Ambush will probably change as well

Jakerp #5 Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:49 AM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View Post5D__Ardez, on 19 February 2018 - 11:17 PM, said:

Largest problem with barb archers is that in team games they are a lot weaker than cynane archers they are not really the option to fill the missile slot in team. Cynane archers commanders skills have a lot better synergy with other non missile commanders. Cynane archers have incredible synergy with other greek units like pikes and spears while barb archer have almoust zero synergy with other barb units or even with other faction non missile units.

Sure you can get good games with barb archers if you are above average player microing them but quite often you are forced to play with tactics and ways that dont have synergy with how other commanders act in this game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users