I dont understand pike vs pike battles

pikes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Jakerp #1 Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Must say I don't really understand pike v's pike battles. For example, in one battle Leonidas T8 pikes v's Leonidas T8 pikes my Fully upgraded tier 8 pike that is using pyknosis (+40% damage) and whetstones (+75% armor piercing damage) loses crushingly against pike unit that is NOT using pyknosis or whetstones and that pike unit also only have 40% HP left while my pike is 100% hp or near it. So that 40% hp left pike units have to DO 3-4 times more DAMAGE without using pyknosis of whetstones than unit using both of those.

What is point of all these damage increasing consumables and combat modes if it causes your unit to do crushingly less damage than unit that is not using ANY of these?

Xeir #2 Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Praefectus Castrorum

• Praetorian

Can you show this video from second flank ?

Also from my observation usualy in pikes fights win guy who have wider formation

ThatPikeGuy #3 Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

I'd love to get a replay of that because it seems like it's a case of you just pushing in after a thrust, which ended up backfiring on your pikes.

Also funny how your thrust dealt no damage, it's been quite common for diomede's stomp as well.

Looks like he also got a full pattern on your when you were thrusting, so pushing in was a bit dumb. Right clicking to attack would've been a better call, retreating just made it worse.

pls buff pike surfing

Jakerp #4 Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostThatPikeGuy, on 15 February 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

I'd love to get a replay of that because it seems like it's a case of you just pushing in after a thrust, which ended up backfiring on your pikes.

Also funny how your thrust dealt no damage, it's been quite common for diomede's stomp as well.

Looks like he also got a full pattern on your when you were thrusting, so pushing in was a bit dumb. Right clicking to attack would've been a better call, retreating just made it worse.

Yeah I have noted that quite often pike trust and also spear hoplite trust wont deal any damage at all. Better contact you have to enemy unit less damage it seem to deal if you use those when there is small gap between unit and enemy then it seem to deal a lot more damage.

It is same with shield bash quite often that too wont deal any damage at all unless you try to walk trough the enemy unit and let hoplites to sink into enemy before using it but that causes you unit to take sizeable walk trough damage. There is really something broken cone hitbox based damage. IMHO. I used to play Leonidas early in beta and then had long break playing it and now I have started playing it again and cone based damage skills feel different somehow.

Edited by Jakerp, 15 February 2018 - 03:40 PM.

Arialz #5 Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Working as intended he was standing still and get the first hit so your pike are all stuck in pushback mode and do nothing while being slaughtered.

Most of the time don't take pike frontally like that because the the unit not moving most of the time get the first hit, try to angle yourself toward him to get first hit, or use phalanx thrust just before contact because it extend range a little and then you get the first hit and can just walk through him.

PS : the way pike duel is totally crap but given their mechanics it's the only way.

Jakerp #6 Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostArialz, on 16 February 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

Working as intended he was standing still and get the first hit so your pike are all stuck in pushback mode and do nothing while being slaughtered.

Most of the time don't take pike frontally like that because the the unit not moving most of the time get the first hit, try to angle yourself toward him to get first hit, or use phalanx thrust just before contact because it extend range a little and then you get the first hit and can just walk through him.

PS : the way pike duel is totally crap but given their mechanics it's the only way.

Yeah I must say that I enjoy much more Leonidas vs Leonidas spear hoplite duels than pike vs pike duels. In spearhoplite duels you can employ various strategies and if you go too aggressive it easily backfire if other Leo uses shield bash even 1s before you use it. In pike vs pike duels you just try to mow in correct angle so you can rekt other pikes.

Also tagged with pikes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users