Elephants

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

DanieliusVas #1 Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

You might have seen the new "teaser" to possibly the Carthaginian faction. There are really high hopes that when this new faction will be added then the elephants would be added with it. I have to admit that I posted a similar topic about a month and a half ago, but you probably have missed it. So here are mine and IsleOfShetland's suggestions for war elephants:

DanieliusVas's:

War Elephants:

• Unlocked from tier VII.
  • One group will have 2-4 elephants.
  • Good at melee.
  • Really tanky.
  • Very high threat for Roman and barbarian infantry, falxmen, war dogs and cavalry; high threat for Greek infantry; medium threat for pikes; low threat for slingers and archers; very low threat for javelin throwers and siege equipment.
  • 35-55% slower then cavalry.
  • Have a charge ability which will increase their movement speed +20%, this ability's cooldown is 65 sec.

IsleOfShetland's:

I recommend to split up elephants into two types: charge and melee elephants.

- melee elephants with support by few infantry

- charge elephants, which can take down everything in their path during a long unstoppable uncontrollable charge (even pike walls, beware of FF)

Elephants can be from start non-agressive, peaceful and vulnerable. They need to be pushed agressive by abilities for to do powerful damage, massive morale impact or for tanking damage.

When they were used, there were not too small numbers of elephants, at least 5-10 units for each group should be fine. More elephants make it more smooth for balance. A single elephant won't have too big effects in one fight and a random loss won't be too devastating for own team.

Probably charge elephants can lighten up dense forests, pushing trees aside? Would look awesome on screen :D

The link to my original post: http://forum.totalwa...pic/4096-units/

Thanks for reading!!

Edited by DanieliusVas, 06 February 2018 - 11:33 AM.

"If numbers are what matters, all Greece cannot match a small part of that army; but if courage is what counts, this number is sufficient."

-Leonidas I 

AstraeusTheTitan #2 Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:02 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

A good announcement indeed!

The nellies must be able to go beserk though when overwhelmed, and for the cmdr to decide whether to sever the brain stem, or let it ride to try and regain control of the stampeding brute!  TW lore. :mellow:  Also, nellies trample dogs, but are frightened and countered horses as I recall, or was it camels? :confused:

4-10 elephants is too high imho for balance, I would think 1 unit card = 1 nellie, so three max or two with 1x support infantry card?

RTKgotterfunkenMD #3 Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:33 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
I hope they can balance it, elephants in Total War have always been either completely useless of god like op, like when Rome 2 came out ad 1 unit of elephants could literally kill a 2000 ma army by itself.

Im_Melliana_I_burn_you #4 Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:42 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

hum it s already hard for them to do a balance so imagine if you add elephant...

hope one day they will add elephant faction like persian or carthago but for the moment they have to work a lot on every commander and greek units + that MM

CATAPHRACTS FAN CLUB MEMBER

EvoLozGaming #5 Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:13 AM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Seems like an interesting addition to me, although I share some of the concerns of others over balance. Perhaps limit elephants to 1 card per player (ie.1 elephant unit for 2 support units).

New gaming video daily - Lots of Total War Arena Content! 

https://www.youtube.com/c/evolozgaming

AstraeusTheTitan #6 Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Did this thread pre-date the Carthage faction announcement?

Block Quote

Hannibal Barca, the Father of Strategy, and his Carthaginian army will be joining the battlefield at the start of Open Beta. Feel the ground shake as war elephants march into the action.

Edited by AstraeusTheTitan, 09 February 2018 - 07:57 PM.

IsleOfShetland #7 Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

The idea about a high number elephants was meant to allow balancing more graduated, a look more from to balance it by Quantity instead of Quality for single elephants. Weaker elephants would be possible (Stats), easier to kill, but in exchange there would be more elephants to take down. But let's see how the update goes, i like the impressive show effects of few elephants, it will be hard to balance it, but it's totally worth it :)

Alea iacta est!

DanieliusVas #8 Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostAstraeusTheTitan, on 09 February 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

Did this thread pre-date the Carthage faction announcement?

Yup I posted it just before the announcement of the Carthaginian faction, but after seeing this short teaser https://www.facebook...4571731995238/ ;)

Edited by DanieliusVas, 13 February 2018 - 12:57 PM.

"If numbers are what matters, all Greece cannot match a small part of that army; but if courage is what counts, this number is sufficient."

-Leonidas I 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users