Thoughts on the recent Cavalry-Meta

Cavalry Barbarians Mount Kick Speed Disengage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ShlomiArbeitman #1 Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

As every one playing since patch 2.4 should've noticed: It is cavalry-season! And this is for multiple reasons. I'm going to share my thoughts and opinion to the "why" and possible solutions.

1. Reasons

a) Barbarian week (Duh): Cavalry is one of the strong suits, if not THE, of the barbarian faction. Obviously if more people are looking to get their barb games, more cavalry will be seen throughout the games.

b) Buffs: Patch 2.4 buffed cavalry to a point where countering cavalry became really difficult. This is mainly due to the incredible speed (intended), the quick turn speed (also intended I guess), the real easy disengage (might also be partly intended) and the ace in the hole: Mount Kick. The letter seems really strong in combination with charging: cavalry units can charge in, trigger mount kick for huge damage + knock down, and disengage without suffering too much damage.

c) The routing mechanic (Morale): the incredibly agile cavalry units can Zerg down isolated units and insta-rout those, provided there is enough cavalry nearby. Apart from own cavalry units there is little not much that can help you. Certain skill can prevent the quick rout (Iron Will, Oath of Perseverance), provided the continuous charges didn't deplete your units too much already.

d) Other: Charge Damage, Capture points not being lost on leaving, short cooldowns on synergizing skills etc.

I could go into further detail, but most people will get why cavalry is played a lot at the moment. And I, too, do play cavalry for the stated reasons. Cavalry is really strong right now, making teams with 18+ units of cavalry pretty plausible and strong choices. Sadly this does not make the game more enjoyable. I love diversity and counterplay and right now it feels like both isn't found too easily.

Possible solutions:

a) First off: Please nerf Mount Kick. It feels like it is pretty much additional damage onto each charge and not limited to that. The cooldown fels way too short and the amount of damage + knockdown is, in my opinion, way too much.

b) Disengage: Right now it seems Cavalry can disengage too easily and just pile charges onto even more charges. Maybe turning while in melee should be harder for cav either reducing turn speed whilst in melee heavily or making them more vulnerable while running away in melee. Or even both in a reasonable way.

c) Morale mechanic: A possible solution would be to introduce diminishing returns on morale damage from the same kind of unit or something like that.

d) Centrifugal force: A mechanic that prevents units at high speed from turning instantly. While not being a super-direct nerf, it would lead to players having to calculate their movements better while at high speeds. Cavalry should be fast, but not be able to stop instantly. Same goes for any unit running at high speeds :).

e) Anticipated movement: Issuing an attack move leads to units going toward the position of unit they're going to attack. When close, units could go for the the spot, where units are moving to, effectively cutting em off. Just like they way archers aim. Of course you can do it manually, but this way units like hoplites protecting vulnerable units can be a bit easier to handle, giving them a much needed indirect buff.

f) Buff counters: Especially hoplites, which are in a pretty bad spot at the moment.

So far my thoughts on this, hope it was understandable and not too long.

Good luck on the battlefield!

May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

Lee_Nox #2 Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

From what I fathomed, you seem to have a problem with the Barbarian cavalry specifically Arminius's cavalry, and for that i'll quote the Devs from the Reddit AMA :

" The Devs are having a few ideas for new directional changes, which could take the first Barbarian Commander in a complete direction "

ShlomiArbeitman

c) The routing mechanic (Morale): the incredibly agile cavalry units can Zerg down isolated units and insta-rout those, provided there is enough cavalry nearby. Apart from own cavalry units there is little not much that can help you. Certain skill can prevent the quick rout (Iron Will, Oath of Perseverance), provided the continuous charges didn't deplete your units too much already.

Isn't that was cavalry is supposed to do? And the moral system is already messed up, it's very hard to rout a unit, a decision made by the devs, in my opinion, to make the game forgiving and beginner friendly.

Also, this is what's know as meta :) if you're sick of players playing a lot of cavalries, then play their counters (Hoplites are not in a bad shape, look at their stats vs cavalry)

Im_Melliana_I_burn_you #3 Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:00 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

buff hoplite? are you serious? XD hoplites can actualy kill a cav in 3sec so what do you want more????

You talk a lot about mount kick but only t5 and X barb got it and the op combo mount/defiance is now nerf.

And btw how can you speak about that game when you play only t4 5 6? it s normal if you meet ful cav in low tier but it s not the same thing in Ht when you see more greek phalanx and archer than other things.

Before ask for a nerf pls play in the HT meta and you will see if cav is op and need nerf... Only the tx barb with iron/defiance need a nerf but it s not the cav himself but vercingetorix

I agree on one point. the barb turn speed is stupid.  They can instant do a 360° in 0.5sec and it need a nerf cause it s totaly unbrain. Romans are balanced and i continue to wait about anvil on greek.

CATAPHRACTS FAN CLUB MEMBER

EvoLozGaming #4 Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
As other have said you seem to specifically have a problem with the tier 5 mounted warband, I don't disagree that mount kick is perhaps a little over powered but cavalry is far from dominant on the battlefield at every tier.

New gaming video daily - Lots of Total War Arena Content! 

https://www.youtube.com/c/evolozgaming

Weskerrr #5 Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Praetorian

View Postzolacat999, on 04 February 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

As other have said you seem to specifically have a problem with the tier 5 mounted warband, I don't disagree that mount kick is perhaps a little over powered but cavalry is far from dominant on the battlefield at every tier.

Also bear in mind that Mounted Warband are extremely good at the moment anyways.
Patch notes for Closed Beta will be very very very very long.
Kappa
You can quote me on that ~Mistrzu

Also tagged with Cavalry, Barbarians, Mount Kick, Speed, Disengage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users