New Map: Plain Battlefield

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Francearus #1 Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

Tiro

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

The maps are really interesting. With hills and forests, with watchtowers and fortified bases. But could there be one map completely flat like most of the ancient battlefield were? Perhaps with a bit of forest in the middle and some swamps on the side. 

In the middle both cap circles, so that you have a reason to attack, and that´s it. Only pure battlefield.

Kingnikolaj #2 Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

Centurion

• Praetorian
so far from what I know there's never been a "completely flat" battlefield. A basic for warfare is to give yourself all the advantages you can ie; highground, clifts, swamps of the side to denie flanking, etc. etc. so to have a battlefield where none of such things are on would be a really be battlefield

There is only one way to victory, and that is forward!

"This stuff will make you a God-damn sexual Tyrannosaurus... Just like me!" - Anzu: Girls und Panzer Abridged 

A_Mighty_Muffin - been shooting me since 2014 - may this long tradition die

WipeoutVasusu #3 Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

Centurion

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostFrancearus, on 22 January 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

The maps are really interesting. With hills and forests, with watchtowers and fortified bases. But could there be one map completely flat like most of the ancient battlefield were? Perhaps with a bit of forest in the middle and some swamps on the side. 

In the middle both cap circles, so that you have a reason to attack, and that´s it. Only pure battlefield.

no.

first of all not a single battle was on a plain field.

barbarian player will basically get destroyed on an open field

PaiNzzz #4 Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostWipeoutVasusu, on 22 January 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

no.

first of all not a single battle was on a plain field.

barbarian player will basically get destroyed on an open field

View PostKingnikolaj, on 22 January 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

so far from what I know there's never been a "completely flat" battlefield. A basic for warfare is to give yourself all the advantages you can ie; highground, clifts, swamps of the side to denie flanking, etc. etc. so to have a battlefield where none of such things are on would be a really be battlefield

Exactly.

If they do anything like this, the next thing is barbarian players asking for a map in the amazon rainforest.

Maps need to be mixed to include each unit's and faction's strengths and weaknesses. If you make a corridor map, pikes and ranged wins, if you make a 100% forest map barbs will party and in a city's streets Romans will have your head, and not only. We need diversity and variety.

Smacks21 #5 Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
Cant you imagine à "flat" map with forests or swamp or something else for everyone to play ?
I think he means à map where every players are side by side.

Actually on mosts maps, à few players are alone on thé right side of the map, à few in mid and à few on the left. Those on the sides cant cross the battlefield and quickly help in mid because they were on the hill etc...

Just play a normal total war game to see what kind of battlefield he's thinking of...

Lots of battles where in battlefield... Without mountain, walls, cliff something that needs to divide units.

Orochimaru_sannin #6 Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:15 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

i already suggested back in the steam alpha to give us grassy flatland just to try it out how the game would go wouthout artificial covers .... never happened and wont ever happen.

Im personally not a fan of lanes, does not propagate teamplay , and this game should rely on teamplay.

Thas just my humble opinion.

Ardougne #7 Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:57 AM

Centurion

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostKingnikolaj, on 22 January 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

I know it isn't what you were talking about, but they tried something similar in World of Warships by releasing an 'empty ocean' map. It went terribly and got taken down relatively quick.

Maps need variation and things like cover, terrain, and the ability to gain advantage via decisions. I don't see an empty map for TWA working out the way everybody might want it to.

That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if a desert map can serve a relatively similar purpose. I'd imagine something like the battle of Zama would be what you are looking for? There is still some height variation, but the center of the map itself would be relatively open and clear in a large area.

max_attenborough #8 Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

Tiro

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

"first of all not a single battle was on a plain field.

barbarian player will basically get destroyed on an open field"

Well, a correct statement actually: 'not a single battle', as many batles were fought on a plain field.  Here's a few of the more important ones ...

Great Plains - Scipio v Hasdrobal, 203 BC

Cannae - Varro v Hannibal, 316 BC

Zama - Scipio v Hannibal, 202 BC

Plataea - Pausanius & Aristides v Mardonius, 479 BC

Raphia - Antiochus III v Ptolemy IV, 217 BC

Gaugamela - Alexander the Great v Darius, 331 BC

The barbarians did quite well at Cannae, I seem to remember

2 user(s) are reading this topic