Archers vs Slingers

archer slinger missile range

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

TWR_Khan_Asparukh #1 Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Slingers vs Archers

Post about the incentive to play slingers instead of archers.

Range

Fully upgraded slinger can reach ~150 range at high tiers. Fully upgraded archer can reach ~120. If we add +10% reach from barrage that will result in near 130 range. Every archer at high tiers has increased range unit ability, which is at least +10% (for reference only t9 slinger has such), and results in near 140 range. In the end slingers have 10 range advantage over archers, which is nothing. Slingers are firing their shot, archers instead move fast forward and they are in range, use barrage and its game over for slingers.

Missile Weapon damage and Missile AP Weapon Damage

Missile Weapon damage is in favor of archers, since their AP damage is ~11-15 against ~3-5 for slingers. The normal damage is more or less equal.

Protection

Protection is in favor of slingers with the exception of t9 archer.

Terrain

Archers have two trajectories of fire. One direct, when there is no obstacle in front of them and one indirect when such exist. Slingers have only one – direct, which is making them in serious disadvantage, as in certain maps such as Gergovia with makes them barely useable and certainly not n their maximum effectiveness.

Reload speed

Here comes the huge difference. Base reload speed is in favor of archers 4s vs 5s for slingers, which means 15 vs 12 volleys per minute or 225 vs 180 per game. If you use archers with Cynane (almost 100% of the time) you’ll have additional up to 15-18 volleys every 70s for t10 Barrage.  This means more than 200 volleys per match.

The result is 400+ vs 180 volleys. Huge difference in favor of archers.

Conclusion

It’s not surprising that most players prefer archers instead of slingers.  Far more reliable, easy to use and with huge damage output.

Suggestions

1. Decrease reload speed to 4, same as archers.
  2. Increase fire angles.
  3. Add ability on every slinger’s tier for +30-50% dmg without decrease of range. T8 have such – Whistling bullet, but is only 90 range.

P.S. Wonder what developers think of slingers and are there going to be any changes in future regarding them?

P.S. t5-6-7 slinger have better range than t8-9. Need fixing in my opinion.

Edited by TWR_Khan_Asparukh, 13 January 2018 - 06:07 PM.

ChaiDogsLiveLongNProsper #2 Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
thumbs up for those brave enough to try grinding slingers

RaigaCZ #3 Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

Tiro

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Thank you for your post. Interesting to read this one ! :)

wolfiena #4 Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:06 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Kudos to the effort trying to grind slingers.

btw, dps comparison should be calculated during the duration of barrage rather than 1 minute, because just one barrage landed, the slingers would be gone in a matter of seconds

XIIl_DarkDusT #5 Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Agree with your post. 
Range, I do not agree on. If you have a tX Cynane (i got one) and you think to fire a barrage at 140 range with both barrage and snipe, you're in for a cold shower.

Say your standing 130 ranged > you use snipe > you almost got him in range (circle just off his unit) > Barrage > everyone is walking. The 10% range on barrage is only to be used to get the full unit in range if your already touching him in your blue circle.
(able to hit and shoot his first row.)

To my understanding and experience, the range is rather fine. The fact 5/6/7 have higher ranged then t9/10, rather stupid indeed. With that highering it to the same ranged would make for a good starting buff. 

TWR_Khan_Asparukh #6 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
Don't have t10 barrage and personally never used it (only suffered from it), so you probably have right there.

Edited by TWR_Khan_Asparukh, 13 January 2018 - 06:11 PM.

Mahribar #7 Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

I'm playing slingers on t9 currently as a mix of meele and ranged slingers.

The most time I use them, to help routing other people in my team, just because of their weakness you've written above.

TWR_Khan_Asparukh #8 Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

T10 Slinger has ability that can be used at 33 range (sling shot). Unit that fires missiles at 161 range makes no sense to have ability that can use only at 33 range. The idea of having such huge range is to stay way back behind the lines. Basically, you can use it only at last resort scenarios, which makes it nearly pointless and useless. 

T9 archers have snipe, which gives additional range and damage. Slingers need such ability (+damage). They need punch power, which almost any other unit in the game has.  

Also tagged with archer, slinger, missile, range

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users