[RIP] Charge mechanic suggest: add momentum to full potential power

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

wolfiena #1 Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:09 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

The current charge mechanic is biased against units with lower charge impact regardless maneuver. There are not uncommon that higher charge-impact units can counter charge the lower one quite easily (and even nuke them). For example, barb cavs charge-ambushing greek cavs from afar, and upon collision, the latter press charge and counter-nuke the former; both units are moving.

To remedy such situations, I suggest to add a momentum weight. A floating weight valued between [0,1] is added into the charge calculation. It would take time for the charge to reach its full potential. For example, suppose a full-charge period is defined as 3 seconds. If a unit is moving, it would take 3 seconds before its reach full charge damage from the time the charge button is pressed, i.e. the momentum weight is 1 after 3 seconds to produce a full charge damage. If the unit on charge collides with the opponent at the 2-second mark, its charge has 2/3 its full potential (charge damage). If the unit is moving and in combat, i.e. being chased by other cavs, its charge damage is 0 since it would collide right away with the chasing force if charge.

Using this new momentum factor, the current pseudo timing charge, i.e. pseudo who-charges-first, can be removed from the equation. Furthermore, the winner-take-all mechanic can be modified using this approach towards a better timing charge solution, i.e. who charges first has the upper hand. In addition, with this approach, one can bring back the Greek cav full potential as the best shock cavalry in game without much concern about its being overpowered.

Cheers

Quo_usque_pro_victoria #2 Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Praetorian
I like that suggretion, but setting a universal timer wouldn't work, just because the barbarians have a 2s charge and it would be too hard for them to get their maximum impact. Then, what we can do is stay with the same system, but reduce the acceleration stats of some units (especially the heavier ones), so that they get to their max speed less quickly, and so that units like Barbarian cavalry (who will have a great acceleration as they are light) could outcharge them if they have a good timing,a s they will reack their maximum impact capability faster

Edited by Quo_usque_pro_victoria, 31 December 2017 - 03:12 PM.

wolfiena #3 Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:02 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with you that the momentum weights should not be set universally but faction-based. It should involve experiment to find the appropriate factors for each faction. But it is doable imo.

The acceleration has little impact in the current charge mechanic. In fact, barb cavs got out-charged by other faction cavs regardless of maneuver and timing (so Verx has to rely on Defiance to get kills in melee, while Armin cavs are underperformed). Changing acceleration without considering the momentum weight would not change the prevailed issue imo.

Quo_usque_pro_victoria #4 Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Praetorian
I agree about the acceleration, but for the the momentum wieights, I would rather see it charge based, so that each charge has its own timer. (Because otherwise the same issue remains, some barbarian cavalry units have a 5s charge)

wolfiena #5 Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:28 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

I'd also love to see:

1) Less charge impact from the front (no Greek cav wedge-blob nuke-charge on Rome infantry with large/steady shield)
2) More damage on rear/flank charge (better for getting offensive point for Greek cav)

Even I am not satisfied with the current stage of balance in the game, still I'd like to thank the CA devs (Declan, Will), WG staffs (Akriom) who have spent their working and non-working time interacting, collecting, and supporting players' feedbacks/bugs/etc. on the reddit discord server.

@Declan: if you have a chance to read this post, please kindly consider the charge momentum in the first post. Thanks

Edited by wolfiena, 17 January 2018 - 06:35 PM.

wolfiena #6 Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:26 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
RIP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users