Commander Sulla underwhelming

sulla commander commander sulla Sullas balance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Ehtne #1 Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Commander Sullas somewhat weak at defence.

I was really suprised that same tier roman units massing inside one another could just push thru hes Fortify skill with near to no losses. 

Just to be safe I used Sullas Fortify several ways with and without whip and whit attacking and just holding my ground. Best that came from that was when I attacked in Fortify and used the Whip. 

Still I lost lots of soldiers. Maby he gets better with tire 6 and onwards.

So the main problem was that you still needed to be offencive to play defencively or else the units would just wait to be killed. I understand that hes not suppose to be played like spearmen. But if its a defencive general I would expect it to hold its ground and fight back automaticly from the front when Fortify is active

Other problem was that he could just be pushed thru while holding the bottleneck area. He dosent have to be like the spears but that just seemed like a joke. Even when I set them to fight back my units were still pushed thru like it was nothing. Im not sure how to make that better, but running thru a unit has often resulted in lots of losses, somehow that wasnt the case this time.

I was really hoping to see some decent defence commander, but I feel a little let down.

Borderking #2 Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Sulla is a joke , If he wont get missile block to that Fortify you are just going to get eaten by arrows. There is a reason why everyother melee commander that is ment to have heavier units than barbs have it.

Ehtne #3 Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
Just to be sure I played him several more times and in the end his still really weak.
One big problem that I had 2 times was getting routed from the front really easily even without the whip. maybe there was Scipio, but it just seemed like a joke.
Perhaps instead of shield defence it should be melee defence or something that makes defence really strong while making swordsmen weaker at damage.

Ehtne #4 Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:18 AM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
But I still have to say, it is better to see a new commander weaker rather than OP VS others.

_Quiris #5 Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

Tiro

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

I'm having some fun using him with Triarii; but overall yes,i have to agree.

Fortify is quite a joke: it's even weaker than Formed Combat from units considering it has no auto shield bash...

They should either give to "shield defence" a more specific role [example: you can fight pikes full face if u have enough shield defence] or change that skill to "not a formation" one, so you can use both Fortify AND Formed combat together..

Edited by _Quiris, 25 October 2017 - 04:52 PM.

Ehtne #6 Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
One way to balance it would be to take the automatic knock down from Formed Combat and give it to the Fortify.

_Quiris #7 Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

Tiro

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostEhtne, on 25 October 2017 - 05:16 PM, said:

One way to balance it would be to take the automatic knock down from Formed Combat and give it to the Fortify.

Well, to be honest, if you will be able to engage pikes full face with sowrds using Fortify... i would not trash that...

Borderking #8 Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View Post_Quiris, on 25 October 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Well, to be honest, if you will be able to engage pikes full face with sowrds using Fortify... i would not trash that...

Oh you cant engage pikes 1v1 just cause you get little bit more frontal guard.

Ehtne #9 Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostEhtne, on 25 October 2017 - 05:16 PM, said:

I have to agree, Formed combat Knockdowns should be in Fortify instead.

Jakerp #10 Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Problem with Sulla is that his main ability fortify work many ways like phalanx I mean buff units and take away mobility like phalanx but fortify is a lot inferior compered to hoplite or pike phalanx.Sulla have zero chanse outmanouver phalanx as whip speed bonus is not that great. One same tier hoplite phalanx can beat up even 3 sullas infantry easily and if there is two hoplites it is next to impossible sulla to beat them at all. Also defending choke points with fortify wont work that great either as fortify is so much inferior compared to phalanx.

I dont find Sulla strong against virtually anybody well maybe dogs but it is easy dog player avoid sulla as dogs avoid sword infantry quite often anyway especyally if they cant blob or flank them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users