Pike Phalanx exploit abuse

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Ilsfort2 #21 Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:38 AM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostBalty09, on 25 September 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

This is serious problem and a lot of people playing pikes exploit it. Run to you shield bash you run closer again and drop pikes on your head isntantly dealing another damage and push forward killing all in reach, absolutely no chance to defend against it, even when you charge pikes in tiem to get them and shatter them before they form phalanx, they iwll just form in in second later and instantly kill half of your men. If you try get away from there your men just somehow magicaly get stick to pikes unable to run out of there and die there...

PS: Leonidas is one of the hardest generals in game to play, especialy now when nothing works right... and even i all worked right, try to control 3 phalanx at once, control your morale, your fatique, use skills one by one almsot every second, control distance of enemy from phalanx so you dont waste SB etc etc. No other general has to do and control so many aspects. And pikes are not useless without pikes at all, they stil have shiel bash which deal great damage. It shoudl work that shield bash push enemy away gets them from melee, make some distance between them and enemy and THAN they should be able to form phalanx, not drop pikes on heads of enemy when he is literaly touching them.

Well.. First of all, I do not believe Leonidas is one of the hardest generals. Quite the contrary. All you have to do is cover ground and/or hold the line. He excels at his role. Just as every other commander excels in their roles. Some roles are harder than others and requires skill and experience to handle right. Leonidas' role is just that easier. Atleast in my opinion.

I still believe the shield bash + pike phalanx combo is a intended mechanic. The tooltips makes sence really. You push them backwars, you are not in melee anymore, you drop pikes.
You cannot drop pikes when you are in melee (the icon is showing) with any other greek general. That is what makes me believe that it is an intended mechanic.
As I stated before: it is your job as a commander to look at the unit you are about to face. Is it Leonidas with a pike unit. Do not engage it from the front. Flank it from the side or rear it.
Is the pike unit blocking a choke point? Get one of your teammates to use wardogs or missiles on it. In that order.

Guest_E8M8P_* #22 Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

Yo copperpride the little weeping baby. Use the shieldbash and put the pikes and one thing that everyone does as the people using the cavalry charge while they are melee. Without that the pikemans have already played top tier in view of their morale too low and the fact that dogs can decimated them without losing a unit by charging and retreating just after would be just good to throw away. Destroying yourself with my pikes or my catapults does not justify that you can accuse me of cheat or any other. So please stop playing a game that is visibly too hard mentally and emotionally for you ... It will do you good sincerely. With all the love that I bear you good day.

Guest_E8M8P_* #23 Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

View PostE8M8P, on 26 September 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

Yo copperpride the little weeping baby. Use the shieldbash and put the pikes and one thing that everyone does as the people using the cavalry charge while they are melee. 
Without that the pikemans have already played top tier in view of their morale too low and the fact that dogs can decimated them without losing a unit by charging and retreating just after would be just good to throw away. 
Destroying yourself with my pikes or my catapults does not justify that you can accuse me of cheat or any other. 
So please stop playing a game that is visibly too hard mentally and emotionally for you ... It will do you good sincerely. With all the love that I bear you good day.

Balty09 #24 Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:45 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostThatPikeGuy, on 25 September 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

Leo's pikes can't really do anything if you lure them out, they're way too easy to punish tbh, if you literally just run up to them expecting to rout the pike unit then idk don't come whining in the forums.

Leo is piss easy haha how hard is it to press phalanx after pressing shield bash haha

You obviously dont knwo what ayou are speaking about. Leo pikes are unbeateble in melee. They cna just turn around kill anything around them and because they can form phalanx in melee there is no way how to prevent them to form phalanx. Thx to Leo ulty its even really hard to rout them...

Leo easy? pressign SB and phalanx and thats all? Maybe for bugegd pikes, hell no for spears. good luck playihg high tier spears if you do just that, you will die in few seconds.

ThatPikeGuy #25 Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostBalty09, on 26 September 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

You obviously dont knwo what ayou are speaking about. Leo pikes are unbeateble in melee. They cna just turn around kill anything around them and because they can form phalanx in melee there is no way how to prevent them to form phalanx. Thx to Leo ulty its even really hard to rout them...

Leo easy? pressign SB and phalanx and thats all? Maybe for bugegd pikes, hell no for spears. good luck playihg high tier spears if you do just that, you will die in few seconds.

Shield bash can't deal damage from the behind so flank them from the rear instead of the side where they can still hit you. Even still, you can just run away from Leo since he's that slow. I've tested shield bash just enough to see how it works.

For Leo being easy I meant that he has a solution for every fuckup under a button like shield bash for mistiming phalanx, fight in the shade for poor positioning against missiles and hold the line when you can't manage to protect your flanks.

Give an example of an easier spear general then.

pls buff pike surfing

Balty09 #26 Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:41 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostThatPikeGuy, on 26 September 2017 - 10:03 PM, said:

For Leo being easy I meant that he has a solution for every fuckup under a button like shield bash for mistiming phalanx, fight in the shade for poor positioning against missiles and hold the line when you can't manage to protect your flanks.

Give an example of an easier spear general then.

Yes i agree on that he has answer almost on every situation. That doesnt make him easy to play, that makes him well balanced. Once you get in melee you cant jsut press 1-2 buttons and let spears fight like you can do with almost every other unit and general.

View PostIlsfort2, on 26 September 2017 - 07:38 AM, said:

Well.. First of all, I do not believe Leonidas is one of the hardest generals. Quite the contrary. All you have to do is cover ground and/or hold the line. He excels at his role. Just as every other commander excels in their roles. Some roles are harder than others and requires skill and experience to handle right. Leonidas' role is just that easier. Atleast in my opinion.

I still believe the shield bash + pike phalanx combo is a intended mechanic. The tooltips makes sence really. You push them backwars, you are not in melee anymore, you drop pikes.
You cannot drop pikes when you are in melee (the icon is showing) with any other greek general. That is what makes me believe that it is an intended mechanic.
As I stated before: it is your job as a commander to look at the unit you are about to face. Is it Leonidas with a pike unit. Do not engage it from the front. Flank it from the side or rear it.
Is the pike unit blocking a choke point? Get one of your teammates to use wardogs or missiles on it. In that order.

Well first, do you play Leonidas on tier t7+? If not please keep your opinions for your self (no offence) but you are just not competent to judge properly. I play 7 generals and really with Leo i have to control and do much more "work" than with any other to be able to win melee fights. Ofc this is just for spears, with pikes its absolutely different story, there you dont have to care of anything almost, with pikes he really can be easy.

About pikes, i most of time flank them even from 3 sides, yet still they form phalanx,droping pikes right on my head instantly killing half of my men or more in front of them and than start turn around killing rest... That should not be possible, but it is. Combo SB + form phalanx, i have no problem with that if he really push all enemy away. That shoudd work that way, but now he SB just one unit from 2 or 3, deal good amount of damage and than drop pikes right on their heads and form phalanx...

Aetholite #27 Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:59 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostBalty09, on 27 September 2017 - 06:41 AM, said:

Yes i agree on that he has answer almost on every situation. That doesnt make him easy to play, that makes him well balanced. Once you get in melee you cant jsut press 1-2 buttons and let spears fight like you can do with almost every other unit and general.

Well first, do you play Leonidas on tier t7+? If not please keep your opinions for your self (no offence) but you are just not competent to judge properly. I play 7 generals and really with Leo i have to control and do much more "work" than with any other to be able to win melee fights. Ofc this is just for spears, with pikes its absolutely different story, there you dont have to care of anything almost, with pikes he really can be easy.

About pikes, i most of time flank them even from 3 sides, yet still they form phalanx,droping pikes right on my head instantly killing half of my men or more in front of them and than start turn around killing rest... That should not be possible, but it is. Combo SB + form phalanx, i have no problem with that if he really push all enemy away. That shoudd work that way, but now he SB just one unit from 2 or 3, deal good amount of damage and than drop pikes right on their heads and form phalanx...

Lets stick to the actual topic guys,the pike pahalnx after shieldbash problem. It should really be looked into. And the turning around pikes in an engagement is also very annoying.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Cowards die many times before their actual deaths."

- Julius Caesar (100 BC - 44 BC)

Ilsfort2 #28 Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostBalty09, on 27 September 2017 - 06:41 AM, said:

No I will not keep my opinion to myself even though I do not play Leonidas on T7 in this beta. This is a discussion board and we are discussing wether or not SB+Pikes with Leonidas is broken. No matter the tier.

You are supposed to take a BIG hit from Leo SB and Pike abilities at T7.
T7  means you will be better equipped vs. lesser units. You will punish other people on equal T more when they make bad plays.
You will be punished for bad commanding on the battlefield. And the punishment will be severe. Facing Leo Pikes from the front knowingly surely is being a bad commander. Let him stand there looking foolinsh without engaging him directly and let those pesky dogs, archers, peltasts and artillery get him down. 

What really bothers me is that you are engaging Leonidas Pike units directly from the front and sides you say. Well knowing that you will lose the encounter. 
Are you cooperating with your teammates to get him down? What units are you trying to take him down with and where? What commander are you using? Is it Barbarian Swords, Roman swords, Greek Spears? On an open field from the front? Forrest? at the canyon at Thermopylae?

If what you are saying that pikes can drop when engaged in melee with Leo Pikes and the unit is still in melee. (icon showing on enemy unit) then there is something wrong. Can you confirm this?

TankyTink #29 Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

Tiro

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
Yes

2 user(s) are reading this topic