High tier leaders playing in low tier ranks (proposed solution)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Ll3w3llyn #1 Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Hey guys,

Like a lot of similar multiplayer games, there's a bit of a "smurf" problem in Total War: Arena. And while most games require a person to make a smurf account in order to play with lower tiers, this is not necessary for Arena. In fact, the game itself seems to give incentives for this kind of behaviour. Everyone will go back from Tier X at some point to start ranking up the next part of the unit tree, and that's perfectly okay. 

But right now Arena gives a huge advantage to these players, because their leaders will retain all of their upgrades. That means that you can find a leader with a fully upgraded ability tree fighting with tier I units. While their units are of the same tier as their opponents', they have a huge advantage because their fully ranked up abilities will buff their units to perform on a much higher level. 

To solve this, I propose that when upgraded leaders fight with lower tier units, their abilities are restricted to the tier they are playing in. For instance, take a fully upgraded Leonidas, who decides to play tier II so he can rank up some of the units he hasn't tried yet. While he has all three abilities unlocked and upgraded to tier X, he should be limited to using the abilities available on tier II (and only upgraded to the extent tier II allows). This makes sure that this veteran player, who already has a huge advantage in this lower tier by virtue of his experience, does not get an even bigger advantage over the newer players more commonly found at the lower tiers.

WickedMouse #2 Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

Centurion

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
I've propsed the same and therefor am all for it.

Ll3w3llyn #3 Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostWickedMouse, on 17 September 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

I've propsed the same and therefor am all for it.

It's possible I got the idea from you then. I think I saw it in a post somewhere in the back of a thread, and I thought I'd re-post it so it got the attention it deserved. Hopefully it'll help get the attention of the developers.

shipers #4 Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
I am all for this. It's unfair to new players and, if you do need to go grind low tier, the battles are dull when your units have such an advantage.

Aetholite #5 Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
Its been proposed before but yeah this would solve it. +1

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Cowards die many times before their actual deaths."

- Julius Caesar (100 BC - 44 BC)

Dr_Sleeping #6 Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:45 PM

Tiro

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
Nice idea! I'm all for it!

Eskiwit #7 Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:28 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostLl3w3llyn, on 17 September 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

To solve this, I propose that when upgraded leaders fight with lower tier units, their abilities are restricted to the tier they are playing in.

+1 i agree this option, maybee unit tier +1, for exemple, you pick unit tier 2 you can play only with level 3 hero ability

Ll3w3llyn #8 Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostEskiwit, on 17 September 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

+1 i agree this option, maybee unit tier +1, for exemple, you pick unit tier 2 you can play only with level 3 hero ability

While that wouldn't be too unfair, seeing as you can get matched with people of higher tiers, it would be very confusing, because you would expect your tier II units to be equivalent to their tier II units, but they wouldn't be because they'd have a tier III ability. That would make it harder to plan tactically. 

Guest_8odycount_* #9 Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:19 AM

High leveled commanders in low tears is totally unbalanced. They rip complete teams apart. To be matched with two tiers above you is also unfair. There was a tier 7 guy yesterday and he did over 1000 damage in tier 5. Nobody even had s chance against him. His leader was tier 9 leveled out. Leaders must have their abilities restricted to the tier their unit have and matchmaking shouldn't put you into lobbies with two tiers above yours. That simply isn't competitive at all.

Balty09 #10 Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
+1

arpe83 #11 Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
+1

what4_ #12 Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
+1

"Nuts!" - Anthony McAuliffe

Karrade #13 Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
Very simply and easy. I like it.

Right alongside capping teams at the highest players tier. So we don't get any more T3 vs T7 matches. If you get 3 T3's on your team being power leveled by a T5, and they end up in a T7 match, it is game over before you start. Capping them at max 2 levels higher than their current tier seems sensible. I realise it gives the T5 leveler an advantage in meaning he never faces T6/T7, but it also means they get less XP overall for the match.

Edited by Karrade, 18 September 2017 - 01:14 PM.

Milentija_MNE #14 Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:21 AM

Tiro

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
I believe that players who have tier 10 commander have worked quite hard for. To level up all abilities u need a hell of time. There is not much players like that. They deserve to have some fun playing with lower tiers and showing off. I understand that Germanicus tier 10 with full abilities has 95% melee and attack but if u rout him he is dead. This game is about team play not about one guy being able to kill team of 10 people. Fix that commanders can not use abilites tier 5 with units tier 4 and lower is good enough. There is no need for nerfing this, anyway a guy tier 10 will play a game or two on tier 5 just to have fun and thats it.

Disprezzo #15 Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
agree on downgrading commander level, but it should be downgraded to match the highest level in the game (don't expect to ever play a game with all same tier)

Vrabies #16 Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Speaking from a tier X Germanicus point of view, I can totally see how smurfing like this is not fair. Every now and then I get invited to a tier V party and I honestly feel bad for whoever meets me. Although, like Milentija said above, I totally deserve to be OP with Germanicus, but it is deffinetely not fair. Best advice I can give to people is to click enemy and check stats left hand side to see how their abilities rack up against enemy (If you're new to tier V and just have a 50% 50% vengeance and you see me at 95/120, youd be crazy to engage and work with the team to bring me down, which is totally possible).

My t9 barrage at t5 is equally destructive to t5 archers, of course. 

This issue -> I enjoy the power it gives me, but it is not fair. 

Edited by Vrabies, 26 January 2018 - 01:35 PM.

PaiNzzz #17 Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostVrabies, on 26 January 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

I totally deserve to be OP with Germanicus, but it is deffinetely not fair.

Why distinguish between commanders, all tier 10 commanders with tier 5 units are equally overpowering over normal tier 5s. Either with speed, defensive or offensive power, or whatever each commander gets.

View PostVrabies, on 26 January 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

click enemy and check stats

Exactly, that is the best advice. It has become second nature to me, I first check the commander and abilities and then usually check missile range and movement speed (works wonders when playing ranged). This works well not only against smurfs, but also to see if a unit is stock, elited, or anything in between. When my Armoured Legionaries were stock, I avoided clashing with the equivalent elited units.

Vrabies #18 Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostVrabies, on 26 January 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

If you're new to tier V and just have a 50% 50% vengeance and you see me at 95/120, youd be crazy to engage and work with the team to bring me down, which is totally possible).

and by this I actually mean "bring as many as possible to my neverending vengeance slaughter, cause I will kill you all" :D

PaiNzzz #19 Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostVrabies, on 26 January 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

and by this I actually mean "bring as many as possible to my neverending vengeance slaughter, cause I will kill you all" :D

ahahahah I usually bait the first vengeance with my spearmen in phalanx, then phalanx thrust, shield bash and disengage. If it works, my usual Germanicus team mate engages and makes him pay for rushing vengeance. He can't do it himself because of Armoured Legionaries' epic speed :P

However, the amount of people just standing and getting obliterated by vengeance is staggering. At tier 5 with tier 6 Germanicus 146k damage and a victory when warming your pizza and feeding your cat is kind of mind boggling. Technically, I wasn't afk since I was slaughtering all that time, right?

Vrabies #20 Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

Munifex

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostPaiNzzz, on 26 January 2018 - 02:16 PM, said:

ahahahah I usually bait the first vengeance with my spearmen in phalanx, then phalanx thrust, shield bash and disengage. If it works, my usual Germanicus team mate engages and makes him pay for rushing vengeance. He can't do it himself because of Armoured Legionaries' epic speed :P

However, the amount of people just standing and getting obliterated by vengeance is staggering. At tier 5 with tier 6 Germanicus 146k damage and a victory when warming your pizza and feeding your cat is kind of mind boggling. Technically, I wasn't afk since I was slaughtering all that time, right?

ain't no scenario where I'm sticking around for you to do that.. also, at tier x I get acceleration boost for both charge and vengeance, there is no turning away from that. 

yes, it is crazy how people just keep engaging a vengeanced Germanicus - several times it happened to me to stay in vengeance the whole cool down and have it available after all attackers are dead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users