Swordsmens in Greek Army

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Jakerp #21 Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
I dont think Greece gets swordmen other than premium unit and not every tier as CA wants faction to be unique.

Smacks21 #22 Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:05 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
I agree if it is premium units because only a few players will have them. They choose to specialize factions and if greek have swordsman in normal way, roman and barbs should have spears.

SUNTZU_JoJo #23 Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

Praefectus Castrorum

• Praetorian

View PostSmacks21, on 16 September 2017 - 08:45 PM, said:

I'm not playing greek a lot so I don't remember his name... but one of the greek commander have a charge and can use it with spears (I was surprised the first time I saw this...)

Of course I have to agree, playing spears is strange because it seems you just cannot attack... the only way I find to fight is to form phalanx and move while fighting... but as I said, I'm not playing greek a lot because I still don't understand how to play spears (I'm not looking a lot for it).

Really... I said it a lot during the alpha but... why the hell did wargaming so many changes to a game that was better than this beta ??? I just can't understand...

That was probably Miltiades, and his upgraded charge (buffed even further if Break Ranks is on) can be quite deadly for side/rear charges.

However against an Infantry Charge head-on, completely & utterly useless - it is only used as a side/rear/(caught unaware) charge & nothing more/less.

Phalanx is the only way for Spears to deal with charges head-on.

View PostSmacks21, on 16 September 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

So greek have all soldiers available but other faction just have sword ? not really fair (triarii doens't count as it is a gold unit - add gold sword infantery to greek then)

On the contrary, currently Barbs & Romans have a 'Spear Unit' (albeit, a Premium Unit) so both the Roman & Barbarian Factions get the 'Greek Faction's benefits' but the Greeks are left with neither, 'only' having Spears/Pikes as Infantry (unless I missed something in the Greek Faction tree - if I did, please do correct me).

Give us at the very least a similarly high Tiered (T VII ?) Sword infantry Premium Unit, so that we are even with the other factions in terms of roster.

Edited by SUNTZU_JoJo, 18 September 2017 - 12:20 PM.

...When ten to the enemy’s one, surround him;

...When five times his strength, attack him;

...If double his strength, divide him;
...If equally matched you may engage him;
...If weaker numerically, be capable of withdrawing;
...And if in all respects unequal, be capable of eluding him,
...for a small force is but booty for one more powerful."

the Art of War, by Sun Tzu

Youtube Channel [ JoJo's GGs ] has gone live!

Guest_ALpha testor_* #24 Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

No sword on the newt patch plsssssss =/

Jakerp #25 Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostSUNTZU_JoJo, on 18 September 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

However against an Infantry Charge head-on, completely & utterly useless - it is only used as a side/rear/(caught unaware) charge & nothing more/less.

Phalanx is the only way for Spears to deal with charges head-on.

Well I play Mitiades a lot and if you head on charge vs charge with same tier Germanicus Mitiades always lose 2-3 times more men than Germanicus. If you forget unformed mode on when you eat counter charge your whole unit gets nuked almoust instantly depending how well Germanicus player lauched his charge from optimum range. Also if same tier Germanicus activate vengeage after melee starts Mitiades always and every time lose that battle. End of story.

Guest_ALpha testor_* #26 Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

At hight tiers spears are useless because even when you put phalanx mode on  if a roman use vengeance you loose always even when you use fear on them they always win so miltiade is very useless at hight tiers because of that he loses against hight tiers leo, he loses against hight tiers Germanicus , hight tiers Vercingetorix will beat milti with his abilities and even a scipio will beat milti. I think that adding sword for milti will be more interesting I know that roman's sword will always beat greek's sword but pls CA/Wargaming let them have a chance!  Back in the first alpha milti was good to chase archer or good in the forest against heavy  even causing serious damage when charging by the rear or flanking with sword now if you try to flank with sword you lose 2 units for one heavy Germanicus unit because of the vengeance on. Please we don't want you to nerf or buff something but just adding this type of unit in greek army will be great for greek'player to stand a chance against roman ! 

fortheglory #27 Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

Tiro

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
Hoplites used swords. They should put them with swords. no need for a fresh unit. i mean spears and swords.

Edited by fortheglory, 07 February 2018 - 09:26 AM.

DanieliusVas #28 Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
Why can't Greek Hoplites who are fighting in melee without their phalanx use swords instead of spears.Why can't Greek Hoplites who are fighting in melee without their phalanx use swords instead of spears.

"If numbers are what matters, all Greece cannot match a small part of that army; but if courage is what counts, this number is sufficient."

-Leonidas I 

Shaun_Rasmussen #29 Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
It would be impossible to balance Leo and Miltiades for hoplites and swords because their stats are so different.  Yes Rome has T8 spears but their commanders are balanced for swords first and can be used with spears, not the other way around.  I don't see swords coming to Greek for this reason.  This would also give Greece too many options.

Edited by Shaun_Rasmussen, 07 February 2018 - 02:29 PM.

DanieliusVas #30 Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostShaun_Rasmussen, on 07 February 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

It would be impossible to balance Leo and Miltiades for hoplites and swords because their stats are so different.  Yes Rome has T8 spears but their commanders are balanced for swords first and can be used with spears, not the other way around.  I don't see swords coming to Greek for this reason.  This would also give Greece too many options.

Romans have T7 premium spears, not T8. And plus I'm Romans have 1 option more than the Greeks so it would equal the options for units for the both factions.

"If numbers are what matters, all Greece cannot match a small part of that army; but if courage is what counts, this number is sufficient."

-Leonidas I 

Bronze_Spear #31 Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:43 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostDanieliusVas, on 15 February 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

Romans have T7 premium spears, not T8. And plus I'm Romans have 1 option more than the Greeks so it would equal the options for units for the both factions.

Sorry sir but the Romans do have a Tier 8 premium spear unit.................Auxilia Palatinia is what they are called when they were for sale during the bundle events..........I'm sure they will be available again in a packet not long after Opening season....

I am glad that the Greek faction needing some sword units for some offensive play is a subject on the EU forum as well I approve this recommendation.......The Greeks could use a 2 tiered sword roster just like Carthage has 2 javelin units available........I mean I would even understand if the upgrades for these units were more costly XP wise just at least give us the option.....I hope WG will recognize the fact that some people won't play the back and forth game (to the most OP unit based faction at the time)  but instead will stick with their favored faction and if all the options are with-held then the game won't be as IMMERSIVE as it could of been and players will trickle out in waves until the game is a bust............Give us options and it will be healthy for the LONGEVITY of arena.......Silver Shield Swords mmmmmmmm

DanieliusVas #32 Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:09 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostBronze_Spear, on 16 February 2018 - 04:43 AM, said:

Sorry sir but the Romans do have a Tier 8 premium spear unit.................Auxilia Palatinia is what they are called when they were for sale during the bundle events..........I'm sure they will be available again in a packet not long after Opening season....

I am glad that the Greek faction needing some sword units for some offensive play is a subject on the EU forum as well I approve this recommendation.......The Greeks could use a 2 tiered sword roster just like Carthage has 2 javelin units available........I mean I would even understand if the upgrades for these units were more costly XP wise just at least give us the option.....I hope WG will recognize the fact that some people won't play the back and forth game (to the most OP unit based faction at the time)  but instead will stick with their favored faction and if all the options are with-held then the game won't be as IMMERSIVE as it could of been and players will trickle out in waves until the game is a bust............Give us options and it will be healthy for the LONGEVITY of arena.......Silver Shield Swords mmmmmmmm

Yes I forgot about the T8 Roman spears sorry... :/

-Leonidas I 

Jakerp #33 Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

Those Roman premium spears dont even work same way than Greek spears for example Roman spears phalanx only give 10% more damage when greek phalanx give 50% more damage so essentially they are not even same unit in game mechanic and stat wise. Sure they both have spear men skin graphic wise. :D

m0rgoth_ #34 Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View PostBronze_Spear, on 16 February 2018 - 04:43 AM, said:

The problem is that these roman units used spear as their primary weapon while sword was just a secondary weapon for greek infantry.

" Creative Assembly, give me back my swordsmen! "  , Miltiades 2017

Jakerp #35 Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

Centurio Hastatus Prior

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

View Postm0rgoth_, on 16 February 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

The problem is that these roman units used spear as their primary weapon while sword was just a secondary weapon for greek infantry.

Most of history sword have been just side arm for the rich people becouse it is easier to carry around than bow or spear. Fact that romans used sword as main arm was pretty unique. Even Japanese samurai never used katana as main weapon. Bow or various type of spears like yari were samurais main weapon in battle. Roman legionaries were pretty unique in history that gladius was main weapon. Also Greeks main weapons were always spears, pikes and bows.

This was reality not that crap what they put in Hollywood movies.

Edited by Jakerp, 17 February 2018 - 10:20 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic