Roman fallback mechanic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Aetholite #1 Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:10 AM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator

I noticed that the ability formed combat, allows your units to refresh themselves in melee by pulling the first line back and moving the second line forward.

This mechanic could also be used as a  "passive ability" for higher tier roman units to retreat. Seeming as they have the discipline to stay in formation, they would surely also be able to use the previously mentioned mechanic to fallback ever so slightly. I would see this happen in the same way that the first line goes to the back of the unit, but this time the second line doesnt move up and this creates a slow backwards moving motion. This would be very usefull if you wanted to back out in to a better posisition without getting rear flanked from turning around in the middle of an engagement.

It also wouldnt be OP because it would take the unit a while to actually back off a substantian amount. A situation in which this could be very usefull is when you get into a fight at the edge of the forest. With this mechanic in place you could slowly fallback out of the forest to not get debuffed anymore.

Furthermore hoplites can already back off without turning around, this is ofcourse part of their phalanx fatigue mechanic.

Let me know what you think about this idea and if you would have any improvements or why you dont like it.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Cowards die many times before their actual deaths."

- Julius Caesar (100 BC - 44 BC)

AssassinoGhost #2 Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

Tiro

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
I can totally agree with you Aetholite on this Roman mechanic. It's really annoying when only Greeks can do it and other factions can't because they just simply can't for now. Would be helpful when as Romans or Greeks you fight in the forest-like area as Barbarians have 25% + bonus for Melee Attack, Defence and (I think) also Damage, so that makes them too OP with the scorched earth as extra stuff, while Romans or Greeks have only or mostly negative effects on their units. 

Thorongil #3 Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

Optio Centuriae

• Closed Alpha Gladiator
if 2 out of 3 factions have a way to slowly retreat in a fight without huge morale penalty, then the 3rd one should have something similar too. probably a working solution to do "hit and run" attacks with barbarians, without getting the rear flanked moral penalty when you try to disengage. cause right now they can't really do it. unless the enemy is routing. but then you don't need to run...
*Thorongil applied the "Pray for Barbarians" filter on his profile picture*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users